5G benefits to mobile end-users
5G is bringing many benefits to mobile end-users, among which:
- More bandwidth for better quality of experience
- Lower battery consumption
- Internet of Things: have applications that do not depend on the operator through machine-to-machine communication
- Fixed/Mobile convergence for video and data delivery
- Mobile broadcasting and seamless switching between different delivery modes: unicast, multicast & broadcast
- Deployment in a virtualized environment with Multi-Access Edge computing and NFV
All this is happening little by little, starting with the implementation of the radio aspect of 5G that already allows devices to reach higher bitrates and hence a better quality of experience for video viewing. Videos are deployed in HLS or MPEG-DASH streaming formats, with soon the capability of using CMAF.
Broadpeak CDN technologies are fully compliant with these formats and we are also working on some other aspects of 5G through the participation in 2 European collaborative projects: Sat5G and 5GxCast.